Timberholm Inn Room Descriptions at Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT Rates at Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT Weddings and Civil Unions at Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT About Timberholm Inn, Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT Vacation Packages at Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT About Stowe VT Contact Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT Hot Deals at Bed and Breafkast, Stowe VT Reservations at Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT Join Us On Facebook The Timberholm Inn Blog Timberholm Inn Home Page Timberholm Inn on TripAdvisor Weddings FAQs

Wedding FAQs

This information sheet was prepared to help you plan your Stowe Vermont Wedding. If you have questions that are not answered, contact Timberholm Inn at 800-753-7603 or the Stowe Town Clerk at 802-253-6133.

Do we need a marriage license? 
Yes. Before your ceremony you will need to purchase a Vermont marriage license. It must be presented to the officiator before your marriage is performed. While your license may be purchased up to two months before your ceremony, it becomes void sixty days from date of issue if the proposed marriage is not solemnized.

Do we need blood tests? 

Where do we get a marriage license? 
If both bride and groom are Vermont residents you may go to the town clerk in either of your towns of residence. If just one of you is a resident, you must go to the town clerk of the town where the Vermont resident currently resides.

What if we are not Vermont residents? 
Decide where in Vermont you wish to be married (we hope it's Stowe!) Out-of-state residents must buy their license in the county where they plan to marry (Stowe is in Lamoille county). Any town clerk in that county can issue the license. The Stowe town clerk's office is located in the Akely memorial building on Main Street in Stowe village - a short and easy drive from the Timberholm Inn.

Who may be married in Vermont? 
A man and a woman, or a same-sex couple who are at least 18 years old may marry in Vermont. If you are at least 16, but under 18, you will need the consent of a parent or guardian.

What information do we need to purchase a marriage license in Vermont?
You must know your legal town of residence and your place of birth; you will also need to know your parents' names, including your mother's maiden name, and the states where your parents were born (a certified copy of your birth certificate can supply most of this information). Vermont law requires that at least one of you must sign in the presence of the town clerk, certifying that all facts are correct; however, most town clerks prefer to see both of you in person before issuing your license, as the law requires that they satisfy themselves that you are both free to marry under Vermont laws. They may legally ask to see documented proof of your statements, (such as birth certificates, divorce decrees, etc).

What statistical information will I need to provide? 
You will need to provide information about your race, the highest grade you completed in school, the number of times you have been married and how your previous marriage(s), if any, ended. This information is confidential and does not become part of the marriage certificate.

What if either of us has been married before? 
If you are a widow or widower, you are free to marry. You will be asked the date that your spouse died. If you are divorced you may remarry after the date on which your previous marriage is dissolved.

Can a marriage license be issued through the postal mail? 

Is there a waiting period?

Where can we get married?
A Vermont license is valid only for a marriage performed in Vermont. If you are a Vermont resident or are marrying a Vermont resident you may be married anywhere in Vermont. If you are not a Vermont resident you must be married in the county where your license is issued. We hope it's Stowe!

Who may marry us? 
A judge, Supreme Court justice, assistant judge, justice of the peace, or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in Vermont may perform your ceremony. The Timberholm Inn will be happy to assist you in finding a local, legal Officiant for your ceremony. A priest, rabbi or minister from another state may perform your ceremony if he or she first obtains a special authorization from a probate court in the district where the marriage takes place.

What do we do with the license? 
By law you must deliver the license to the person who will conduct your wedding ceremony before the marriage can be performed.

Do we need witnesses? 
Vermont law does not require witnesses. If you are planning a religious ceremony check with your church or synagogue to see if religious tenets require witnesses for your marriage.

What happens to the license after the ceremony? 
The person who performs the ceremony will complete the sections concerning the date, place and officiate information and sign your license. It must then be returned to the town clerk's office where it was issued within ten (10) days so that your marriage may be officially registered. It is not a complete legal document useful for passports, social security, etc. until it has been recorded in the town clerk's office where it was purchased.

How do we get a copy of the marriage certificate? 
There are two ways to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate:

  • When you purchase your license, you may arrange with the town to mail you a certified copy of your certificate as soon as your marriage is recorded. The cost will be $30.

  • Two weeks or more after the ceremony you may request (in person or in writing) a copy from the town clerk's office where you purchased your license. Or, six or more weeks after your ceremony you may request (in person or in writing) a certified copy from the department of Health, Vital Records Unit, 108 cherry street P.O. Box 70, Burlington Vermont 05402. Either way the fee is $7.00 and you will receive a copy of the original certificate, embossed with the Town or State seal and signed and dated by the appropriate official. These certified copies are accepted for all legal purposes.




In This Section

About Us About Bed and Breakfast, Stowe VT

What's New




What's New Breakfast